There are so many things I hope I never do again! Mistakes happen and are costly. Some mistakes can be completely avoided. I love the words to Jessie J's latest song Masterpiece.
Watching what you say is a very good start for 2015. I do a lot of listening believe it or not! I can work out who a person is by what they talk about. A few examples:
- Gossiping about others. This person will soon be gossiping about me. There will be no secrets shared with this person.
- Complaining about their husband, wife, partner. This person would rather complain than get to work on their relationship. They are happy to be unhappy.
- Saying they have nothing to wear. Wear the clothes that you love. Build on it. If you don't know how, ask for help.
- Saying they can't afford to do some activity and then make an expensive purchase. Really! Don't say you can't afford something rather say you are saving for something else. It's more believable.
- Being unable to accept a compliment on your outfit. Telling how much you paid for it, saying you "just" made it or giving a compliment in reply; shows you are uncomfortable getting compliments and may not think much of yourself. Don't ruin the compliment with the cost, the word "just" or redirecting the compliment. Just say, thanks! Do it. Full stop.
- Comparisons. You have, I don't have. It is a waste of time. It doesn't change you or your life. Be thankful for what you have and use it.
- oh so many more...
A few tips:
- Start somewhere
- Talk about the future and not the past
- Stop rehashing the woes that have befallen you. You can still live, so live well with what you have in your hand
- Everyone has some talent or advantage - brains, looks,sense of humor, drive etc. Use it. Don't wish you were someone else. They are already taken.
- Re-position your thought life. Nip draining thoughts in the bud.
- Be a source of encouragement to others. You will look younger and more vibrant too.
Advantages when you re-position your mind:
- You will have more time in your day
- Your conversations will be more fun
- You will feel happier
- It won't cost you any money and you won't need to book surgery either
I know this works because all those draining conversation topics used to be my pet topics. Now I try not to gossip and I am getting better every day. I don't encourage gossip either. It is an ongoing temptation that I constantly fight. Some days are better than others but I'm not giving up on being intentional about what comes out of my mouth. Try it! It's fun. Celebrate the sentences you stopped yourself from saying. Go on a conversation diet for 2016!!!
What are you never going to do again? I would love to hear your plans for a great 2016.
Subscribe to my Blog and YouTube and follow me on Instagram to be part of my day to day adventures with fabric, patterns and thoughts on life!