One week before traveling to Portland Oregon I Googled the weather forecast - checking any earlier and I'm probably sewing garments for the wrong weather.
Spring in Oregon isn't hot but the weather looked like it was definitely going to be hot and also mild.
So the process begins ...
Where to start:
Shoes - Must be comfortable & versatile
- Brown neutral
- Orange for a Colour Pop
- Ankle brown neutral boots for the flight and for cooler weather
What I will Sew:
I had my sewing plans ...
I always laugh at what I hope to sew before a trip ...
Big dreams help me get into the sewing zone quickly ...
Big dreams = No time to Dilly Dally
What I was going to do on this trip impacted my garment choices ...
- Running Grab & Go Dress Workshops
- Speaking at the PRWEEKEND Portland OR
- Lots of Traveling by car 2000 miles/3000 kms circumnavigating Washington State
- Traveling long distances by plane - Melbourne to Seattle (inflight & airports 42 hours total)
Song lyrics... I went from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA
Our version .... on the way to Tacoma, Oregon, Idaho, BC and S.E.A. (SEATTLE) 🎶
How: Taking the T2 Priority Fast Lane
The updated weather report for Portland and with only 7 days before departure, made me change the direction of my sewing plans! I had some cute outfits planned but timewise I really was kidding myself. Elaborate garments with a 7 day time deadline is a recipe for disaster and stressmaking not dressmaking.
My Back up plan:
Knowing what garments I could take if I ran out of sewing time, was the saving grace and kept my sewing experience fun.
Showing both sides of my
Reversible Wrap & Go Brocade Coat
I switched my Sewing lane to the Fast Lane by cutting out an extra two Grab & Go Coats. These coats ended up being my favorite travel pieces. Using the blue and brown reversible brocade & using my Hokusai wave digital print for my Grab & Go Wrap coats, gave me the wardrobe options I needed for this trip & Saved my sanity!
Who I would be spending time with:
- fellow Sewist's
- Instagram friends old and new
Why I make new garments for Trips:
- I use garments in my Workshops so people of all sizes can try them on and I use different materials to demonstrate Fabric drape and provide Inspiration
- Oh I have the Fabric already either I use it or someone else will
- I like to be comfortable when I Travel
- It's fun
- Wearing the new garments adds to the holiday experience
- Helps me discover the garments that really work
The best pieces for this trip were the Grab & Go dresses, Animal print sweater, Wrap & Go Coats, RTW ready to wear jeans, and Tee Tops (with and without sleeves) to wear underneath. Easy travel pieces to wear & comfortable too. Even though the cut out jeans and the silk tops didn't get made in time, I enjoyed my travel wardrobe and felt great everyday!
I'm looking forward to spending some quality time sewing up those precut pieces for another trip.
Follow me on Instagram and Subscribe to my Blog for more information about Fabric Patterns & Life!